Chaos

1) To me, chaos is random, unplanned, spontaneous, and messy.
2)I did this piece in watercolor using only white, black, yellow, blue, and red. I chose watercolor because I know it's a medium that tends to have a mind of its own. First I wet the entire surface of the paper with an old makeup brush dipped in water, and then touched a loaded paintbrush to make small and large blobs of color. Some parts of the painting developed puddles, so I tried adding a little color to make it all swirly, and tilting the paper so it would move around a bit. Unfortunately the swirls ended up just mixing themselves together and turned an icky brown. I dabbed some of this up with a paper towel and tried to do those spots over, but since I did end up using a lot of color and all of it wet, the piece ended up sort of a blended together medium tone anyway. Lastly I took an old toothbrush, loaded it, and ran it across the handle of the paintbrush so it would splatter tiny drops everywhere. I got a little carried away with this step since it was so dang fun, as is evident since you can barely see the bottom blob layer. XP (<-face)
3) My piece has elements of texture, contrast, pattern, and color.


Order
1) To me, order is geometric shapes, bold lines, flat color or evenly shaded, and patterns.
2)I prefer using tempura over acrylic because I am messy, especially with art media, and tempura is more easily clean-up-able since it's water soluble. I covered the sheet of cardboard (experimental surface choice I probably won't reuse) with a sort of pea green. I then used drafting tape to make stencils on the surface that I could paint over. First I divided the background and added color to the two outer sides, then after it dried I taped stencils of the large triangles, added color, let dry, and then did the same for the black borders around the shapes. When I tried to do the small triangles, the light colors were letting the dark underneath them show through, an effect I did not want. I also did not want the effect lifting up the tape gave, which ripped off bits of paint AND paper!! Grrr... I tried to glue on the shapes with construction paper instead to create the effect I wanted, which is probably the medium I should have used anyway, and I tried to add some water to smooth out the parts that got lifted up by tape or cracked. This finished piece is not the result I wanted and I definitely will not use this in my portfolio XP
3) This piece shows line, shape, and color elements the most.

0 comments: