August Macke




Macke studied pastels between 1907 and 1909 and he worked to understand Dega's impressionist technique. He also strived to create a soft lit setting when portraying his wife, Elisabeth. These were all combined to create this piece of art called "Elisabeth reading with a bowl of fruit." He depicts Elisabeth as if being seen from above and enjoyed working with spontaneous poses and positions of his subjects.
August Macke was born in Meeschede on January 3rd, 1887. He died in battle, Perthes-les Hurlus, France, on September 26, 1914.
I particularly enjoy Macke's work because of the color blends that he uses in almost every piece. My favorite trait that differentiates his work from the rest, though, is how he does not bother to make it clear when one subject in a piece starts and when the next begins. They are all blending with one another, yet you can still tell what every detail in each picture is.
This is very different from what I do because I almost feel like I actually strive to make the solid lines showing a subject to be separate from another, but now that I reflect on this, it makes me feel like I am putting my creativity on a page the way I see it and not giving my viewer any room to be creative themselves. I might, in the future, try to not make my work look like I might hand out a viewer's manual on how to look at my pictures. I want them to hold more mystery and give room for more than one portrayal the way August Macke does.

0 comments: