David Hovey



This is a piece by David Hovey. He is by far my favorite contemporary artist. he works primarly with oil paint now although in his senior year in high school and first year of college he didnt want to paint, he only wanted to draw. Now he works primarily with oil paint since "thats what the masters use."

David's work is usually very realistic in how the things would look even if it is in a fantasy situation, something I greatly admire of his work.

I like how he uses perspective and lighting to give his paintings something unique and interesting. I also envy his mind, how he can come up with these ideas and actually make it feel like thats how it happened.

David influences my work greatly. I know him personally since he was the oldest brother of one of my friends back in Ohio. His whole family is very artistic but each in a unique medium (ie his dad makes sculptures out of silverware). He is somewhat my unofficial mentor. I ask his advice on pieces and try to pick his brain for ideas and new things to try. Hes helped me develop my technique with things like underpaintings and how to use colors that you might not think of in places to make it look more realistic. I do try to come as close to his level as I possibly can because I feel that he is the greatest artist I know of.

0 comments: